Sunday, July 8, 2012

Suroweicki on Fairness

I'm exhausted, so this will be  brief and have no deep thoughts in it, but I wanted to pass on some of what James Surowiecki wrote about the issue of fairness when considering the European financial woes.  Now, this was published back in the June 4 & 11 double-issue of The New Yorker, so the factual situation has changed; regardless, the concepts I've highlighted are still good for thinking about, especially in the terms of conflict resolution (which is where I believe I will use it in my course and in my book):

- "Similarly, a famous experiment known as the ultimatum game -- one person offers another a cut of a sum of money and the second person decides whether or not to accept -- shows that people will walk away from free money if they feel that an offer is unfair.  Thus, even when there's a solution that would leave everyone better off, a fixation on fairness can make agreement impossible."

- "From the perspective of society as a whole, concern with fairness has all kinds of benefits:  it limits exploitation, promotes meritocracy, and motivates workers.  But in a negotiation where neither side can have what it really wants, and where the least bad solutions is as good as it gets, worrying too much about fairness can be suicidal."

No comments:

Post a Comment