Sunday, July 22, 2012

Refund on Health Insurance

So, when I was unemployed and when I was working at a small firm, I needed to buy my own health insurance.  Thus, after a very stressful search and application period, I ended up with Golden Rule, through United.  I can't really complain, it didn't charge me a whole lot, and it covered the basics (except for prescriptions, which did cause some issues).  Obviously, because I now work for a university, I am on its healthcare plan.  Well, last week I received a love letter from Golden Rule along with a check!  Because of the Affordable Care Act's provision that requires that if a health insurance company doesn't spend at least 80% of its collected premiums on health care services, then it must return the difference to the enrollees.  This is called the 80-20 rule, and it is meant to minimize administrative costs to only 20% of a company's expenses.  In 2011, Golden Rule in Tennessee spent only 70.9% of its total $35M in premiums on health care expenses, meaning that it missed the 80% mark by 9.1%.  Thus, Golden Rule was required to send its enrollees who paid during that period checks of 9.1% of their premiums paid.  Hurrah!  I received a check!  I am pleased to see the ACA working to increase efficiency and decrease administrative padding.  Thanks, Congress and President Obama.  I'm now going to go deposit my small yet morally and politically-pleasing check.  

No comments:

Post a Comment