Friday, May 18, 2012

the type of people who . . .

Let me begin this post with a couple of acknowledgments:

(1) I realize that mainly the wealthier part of America subscribes to Food and Wine (i.e.  these ain't the Golden Corral types)

(2) I would love to travel to the Maldives (or at least be the type of person who travels to the Maldives)

(3) I have eaten at Golden Corral, and I'm more likely to know what is being served there than what to do with sumac (which I thought was poisonous and gave rashes).

(4) I receive Food and Wine, and I enjoy it

With all of that out of the way, I want to express utter disbelief at Akhil Sharma's recent sentences in his article in the May 2012 F&W.  Sharma, describing a luscious vacation to the Maldives essentially just to bask (he pretends to have a goal of discovering local cuisine to show why we, as humanity, should save the disappearing islands), wrote, "I suddenly realize  . . . that we are the sort of people who get to go to the Maldives.  I guess I feel then what everyone who is fortunate enough to come to the Maldives with someone they love feels."  WHAT?!?!  Essentially, he comes off as ten shades of pretentious and five shades of without a soul (he "guess[es]" that he feels something???).  I was so floored when I read those two sentences.  Again, I recognize all the statements above and that not everyone subscribes to (nor is required to subscribed to) my belief of humility and service, but statements like that make you look like a grade-A asshole, Mr. Sharma, grade-A.  Perhaps he's been reading too much of this?  (psssst . . . Sharma, that Suri is fake -- you don't want to be like her -- she's not real)

No comments:

Post a Comment