Monday, March 12, 2012

I can see my students becoming lawyers!

This past weekend, my students turned in their rough drafts of their appellate briefs.  In addition, today, we held mini-oral arguments on topics of their choice (topics ranged from sports, giraffes, bagel breakfast sandwiches, Twilight, musicals, macaroni and cheese, etc.).  For the mini-orals, they had to begin with "May it please the court, my name is _____."  They also had to field questions from judges, end on time, and thank the court.  With both the rough drafts and the mini-oral arguments, I can see my students beginning to take shape as lawyers!!!  It is so exciting, and it is so appropriate for spring!  I feel like they are little daffodils that I planted in the fall that are now coming up and blooming.  They are beginning to understand cites, they are beginning to understand decorum, they are beginning to understand arguments, they are beginning to understand policy . . . the list goes on and on.  I love it.  I also love how excited some of them are getting about oral arguments and briefs.  I know I love this part of legal writing -- it seems to all come together now, but it is always exciting to see someone else get bitten by the same bug.  Three cheers for my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment