Monday, August 20, 2012

Shouldering ther Burden -- Tithing Disparities

NPR had an interesting story this morning (http://www.npr.org/2012/08/20/158947667/study-reveals-the-geography-of-charitable-giving) about the trends of giving to charities.  The article boils the study down:  It turns out that lower-income people tend to donate a much bigger share of their discretionary incomes than wealthier people do. And rich people are more generous when they live among those who aren't so rich.  I can't say that I'm surprised.  First, to address the point that wealthier people are more generous when they live among those who aren't --- sure!  They are surrounded by those in need, as opposed to those whose needs are met and then some.  It is hard to justify keeping your money and spending opulently when you are confronted on a daily basis by those going without basic necessities.  Personally, this is one of the reasons that I am not comfortable living in suburbia -- I need to be confronted with people's needs.  As a person, I need to fulfill my duty to help others, and I am better at responding to those needs when I am confronted with them on regular basis.


Second, let me share a story from my beloved Second Presbyterian Church in Nashville, Tennessee.  During the Capital Campagin season, one of the members got up to speak to us about tithing.  He told us that he and his family didn't used to tithe, but then they began realizing that it wasn't their money;  it was God's.  It wasn't for them to "give up" because it wasn't theirs in the first place.  Even when they struggled to make their rent payments, they tithed 10%.  I abosrbed this message and took it to heart:  never before had anyone made such a compelling argument for tithing.  I began to tithe at 10%.  And even when I was making essentially nothing (my monthly income was less than my rent), I still tithed because the money didn't belong to me.  Now that I have a financially-secure career, I continue to tithe at 10%.  It is a way to give God a portion of what He has given me.  It's not a choice, it's a compulsion for me.  I must do it  . . .  it's only fair. 

For this upcoming month, I challenge you to consider how you can give ten percent of your income to charity.  It doesn't have to be to a church.  It can be to the Humane Society (one of my favorite charities), to an NGO, to the local library,  . . . the list is endless.  Don't let those struggling financially carry the burden of giving, and don't let your financial struggles stop you from giving.  Peace ~



No comments:

Post a Comment