Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cleansing the feet to cleanse the soul

Most of you know how deeply I embrace foot-washing as an act of humility and a symbol of faith.  While we no longer walk around a desert in sandals, like Christ and the apostles did, our feet still suffer from various ailments.  Feet are, after all, functional creations.  They do real work for us every day.  I thank God my feet and legs works because I LOVE LOVE LOVE moving around, jumping, wearing bare feet on wooden floors, dancing, wearing high heels and listening to my own clicking, etc.  This past Maundy Thursday, I helped lead a foot-washing service at First Presbyterian in Norman, Oklahoma.  This church has become our chosen place of worship, and we are slowly becoming integrated with it.  The church members did not embrace the foot-washing part of the service as wholly as those at my previous church (Second Presbyterian in Nashville, Tennessee), but they were moved into a new spiritual realm with our reading and re-enactment and our open offer to wash their feet.  Here is an especially touching article about the foot-washing service at the campus for Nashville's homeless:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120408/NEWS06/304080053/Christian-tradition-teaches-humility-counters-me-first-culture?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE.  Think about it --- what would it take for you to wash a homeless person's feet?  What would it take for you to let them wash yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment