Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Bennett family Easter morning chant

HAPPY EASTER!

Of course the main point of Easter for me is celebrating the resurrection of Christ, and my very favorite moment of the day is singing "Jesus Christ Has Risen Today."  However, Christ-aside, I am also quite fond of the idea of a bunny hopping around delivering treats.  As I come from an animal-loving, druid-claiming family, they are a little more interested in the bunny aspect of the day.  Not an Easter goes by without my dad reading this poem (written by another Bennett!!!  actual relation is still yet but a hope) in the early morning and with great glee.  This is the way the Bennett household kicks off Easter --- enjoy!


On Easter morn at early dawn
before the cocks were crowing
I met a bob-tail bunnykin
and asked where he was going.
"Tis in the house and out the house
a-tispy, tipsy-toeing,
Tis round the house and 'bout the house
a-lightly I am going."
"But what is that of every hue
you carry in your basket?"
"Tis eggs of gold and eggs of blue;
I wonder that you ask it.
"Tis chocolate eggs and bonbon eggs
and eggs of red and gray,
For every child in every house
on bonny Easter day."
He perked his ears and winked his eye
and twitched his little nose;
He shook his tail -- what tail he had --
and stood up on his toes.
"I must be gone before the sun;
the east is growing gray;
Tis almost time for bells to chime." --
So he hippety-hopped away.



No comments:

Post a Comment